Communities in Harvest 2013
Ready, Set, Grow!
Communities in Harvest is a residential program to educate, support and engage residents in backyard food growing to create a culture that fosters local food production in our region.
Grow in your backyard through 2013, take a food growing course and then celebrate the harvest with us in September! A joint effort between Saanich and Lifecycles Project Society, we are offering 3 educational workshops that empower Saanich residents to grow and harvest their own food.
Register for the Program below and ‘Like’ our Communities in Harvest Facebook Page to stay connected.
After registering, you will receive an email confirmation and a link to receive 50% off Lifecycles Food Growing Courses.
Plant and Grow your Garden and watch for monthly prize draws.
Post photos on the Facebook page and watch for details on the Harvest Celebration coming in September.
Learn more about food growing in Saanich on our Agriculture and Food Security site: www.saanich.ca/afs
3 Great Food Growing Courses – Something for Everyone!
Session 1: Planning your Food Garden – March 2013
Want to grow your own food but don’t know where to start? Topics covered in this introductory workshop include:
- Growing vegetables to stretch your grocery budget
- Assessing your site for basic plant needs: soil, nutrients, water and light
- Timing, seasonalityand companion planting
- Seed starting,watering and care for seedling starts
Session 2: Food Garden Planting and Care – April 2013
This workshop will takes the backyard garden from an idea to a reality. Topics covered in this workshop include:
- Preparing the soil, outdoor seeding and transplanting
- Maximizing Space: Vertical growing, planting in successions
- Identifying pests, weeds and diseases and other common challenges
- Timing and Seasonality: Harvesting, culinary use and proper storage
Session 3: Preserving the Harvest: Intro to Canning – July 2013
Whether you are new to canning or need a refresher, this workshop is a hands-on opportunity to learning about putting food by. Topics covered in this workshop include:
- Harvesting, proper storage of produce, and putting food by for winter
- What makes canning safe: Types of canning, materials needed and preparation
- Practical Application: Making a specific recipe (depending on seasonal availability)
- Boiling Water Bath: Techniques
Register at http://saanich.ca/living/afs/cih.html
View all Upcoming Events & Seminars »